Your Meter is About to Get Smarter
The Gulf Power Smart Meter is a proven, accurate digital meter that measures electricity used by a customer and transmits the energy use to Gulf Power through a wireless radio signal.
Gulf Power and Southern Company Smart Meters have been used and tested for more than eight years, with close to 4 million installed in Northwest Florida, Georgia and Alabama. Smart Meters With Smart meters, Gulf Power no longer needs to send meter readers out every month.
Gulf Power Smart Meters are secure. Just like a mechanical meter, the Smart Meter only reports whole-house energy-usage data and sends it over a private, dedicated network. The data is stored on secure company servers and is used only by the utility for billing and solving customer concerns.
Gulf Power Smart Meters are safe. Gulf Power Smart Meters operate within the safe power limits regulated by the Federal Communication Commission. Smart Meters transmit relatively low-power radio signals — similar to those used by cell phones, baby monitors and garage door openers - and transmit for about one second per day.
Gulf Power's Smart Meters offer a host of benefits for customers that include improved system maintenance, improved response time to outages, live outage maps, and power consumption information available to customers to manage their own energy use.
What are Smart Meters doing for customers now?
- Increased privacy - Smart Meters eliminate the need for representatives to regularly visit customers to read the meter, increasing customer privacy.
- Quicker power restoration times - Smart Meters will notify Gulf Power immediately in the event of a power outage, helping Gulf Power to respond quickly restore power.
- Pinpoint any problems in the electric service system. This means service technicians can resolve issues before they lead to larger power outages.
- Energy usage information - Smart Meters transmit energy use daily, which allow customers to log in to their account on MyGulfPower.com to view and monitor their own energy usage. This gives them more control over the monthly bill.
- Online Outage Maps - Live tracking of the Gulf Power system to allow customers to monitor power restoration following a storm or other incident.
Learn more about this and other innovations that Gulf Power, and our parent Southern Company, are implementing.